Les Corts
The historic fortress where Catalan football legend was forged before the giants of Camp Nou.
Camp de Les Corts (Catalan pronunciation: [ˈkam də ləs ˈkoɾts]), commonly referred to as Les Corts, was a sports stadium in Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain. Opened in 1922, it was the home for FC Barcelona until the club moved to the Camp Nou in 1957. It was also the home of CD Condal for the club's entire history. The stadium was built as a result of a long-term plan by club president Joan Gamper to provide FC Barcelona with its own stadium, replacing the Camp de la Indústria. Inaugurated in 1922, the initial capacity was 20,000. The first game played at the ground was between FC Barcelona and St Mirren.
- Role
- FC Barcelona's Primary Home Stadium (1922–1957)
- Location
- Les Corts, Barcelona, Catalonia
- Capacity (Final)
- 60,000
- Status
- Demolished (Demolition began 2 February 1966)
Verified Timeline
Lore & Background
Les Corts was the home of FC Barcelona during two of its most successful eras. During the 1920s with coach Jack Greenwell and players such as Paulino Alcántara, Sagibarba, Ricardo Zamora, Josep Samitier, Félix Sesúmaga and Franz Platko, the club dominated the Campionat de Catalunya and emerged as one of the top clubs in Spain. The club built on that success and also won the first ever La Liga while based at Les Corts. On 13 May 1923, the stadium hosted the Copa del Rey final between Athletic Bilbao and CE Europa, and on 21 December 1924 Les Corts hosted a game between Spain and Austria. On 14 June 1925, during a game, FC Barcelona fans jeered the Spanish national anthem and then applauded God Save the King, performed by a visiting British Royal Marine band. The dictatorship of Primo de Rivera accused Joan Gamper of promoting Catalan nationalism. Les Corts was shut down and Gamper was expelled from Spain. By the late 1940s, FC Barcelona had outgrown Les Corts. The stadium had been extended on several occasions, reaching a final capacity of 60,000. However, there was no room for further expansion and in 1950 the club began to make plans for a new stadium, the Camp Nou. The club moved to its new stadium upon its inauguration on 24 September 1957. After the closure of Les Corts, the club began a long, ultimately successful, process to rezone the property to allow for residential and commercial use. Demolition of the old stadium began on 2 February 1966. Of the 26,990 m2 (290,500 sq ft) property, 15,300 m2 (165,000 sq ft) were then rebuilt as parks and sports facilities (basketball and hockey courts, swimming pools, etc.). Residential and commercial buildings were erected on the rest of the site.
In Their Own Story
The late afternoon sun stretched long shadows across the turf as the final whistle approached at Les Corts. The air hung heavy with the scent of cut grass and the deafening roar of 'Visca el Barça!' vibrating off the concrete terraces. Ladislao Kubala, sweat glistening on his brow, trapped a high ball with the effortless grace of a dancer before unleashing a thunderous shot that ripped into the net. The stadium erupted—a churning sea of blaugrana scarves waving in unison. In that electric instant, the 60,000 souls present weren't just spectators; they were witnesses to history being etched into soil that would soon be turned over for a new chapter. As the players bowed, the ground itself seemed to hold its breath, solemnly surrendering its soul to build something greater.
Reader's Guide
The Les Corts era marks FC Barcelona's definitive metamorphosis from a local favorite into an international powerhouse. This was the golden age where visionary coaches and world-class talents like Kubala and Samitier transformed the club's identity. It was here, amidst political repression and civil strife, that football became a vessel for Catalan resilience. Today, understanding Les Corts is key to understanding the DNA of modern Barça: a place where sporting excellence and cultural pride were forged in equal measure.
Did You Know?
- The first game played at Les Corts was between FC Barcelona and St Mirren.
- On 14 June 1925, fans jeered the Spanish national anthem and applauded God Save the King, leading to the stadium being closed for six months and club president Joan Gamper being expelled from Spain.
- Les Corts hosted the 1923 Copa del Rey final between Athletic Bilbao and CE Europa.
- The stadium reached a final capacity of 60,000 after several extensions.
- Demolition of Les Corts began on 2 February 1966, and 15,300 m2 of the property were rebuilt as parks and sports facilities.
